Data and Privacy in Technology

With the technology developed, it provides a lot of convenience to people. However, there are some disadvantages. For example, I am going to present one of them which is about privacy in technology. Many free websites are not free. It collects people’s information to run on the website. I think personal information does not be protected well enough in technology.

As technology develops fast these days, personal information is stolen and spread easily. There is commercial value on personal information. Thus, some unethical people steal and sell to others because they can get more benefits from this personal information. For example, sometimes I often receive some phone calls which are phone scams. The reason why this phone scam gets my phone number is that someone gets my number and sell to others without permission. Besides, when people download some apps which sometimes connect with another slush that is unsafe, their information might be stolen. This phenomenon negatively impacts on the internet environment. Besides, sometimes it seems my action is detected. When I search for something frequently, it will show it again even though I do not search it. It just like an advertisement which shows on the side. For example, I want to buy a shoe and go to the Nike website for several times. When I search for another website, it appears some Nike shoes that I searched before. This advertises to me to click on it, so it can attract me to buy it. It is a way to get people’s information and provide the product to them. WordPress is a modality that our course EDCI 339 is using. It is an open course, so all people can read our article. Thus, sometimes people might come and copy some good content. Copyright protects the writers’ rights. For example, we need to pay for Spotify if we want to download the music. Copyright encourages people to create things, such as music, movie or technology. Without copyright, fewer people are willing to put their effort into creating things. What’s more, people should know how to protect their information. Firstly, the password that you create should not be too easy. And then, people should use public WIFI carefully. Sometimes, people should avoid connecting that WIFI which needs your phone number and email address to login in. Also, people should download official software which is safer.